Lemons are a favorite all over the world and an essential food in kitchens everywhere.
They are acidic to the taste, but are alkaline-forming in the body. Actually they are one of the most alkaline-forming foods! This makes them super-food for balancing a highly acidic condition in the body.
The health benefits of lemons:
- They are highly alkalizing to the body. Despite their acidic taste, lemons and its components are alkaline – forming on the body fluids and help to balance the body pH.
- Lemons are rich in vitamin C and flavonoids, which are very important for the immune system to fight against infections, flu and colds.
- Detoxifier of the body. he lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver and is a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons. Fresh lemon juice added to a large glass of water in the morning is a great liver detoxifier.
- Cleans the stomach: Lemons increase peristalsis in the bowels, helping to create a bowel movement thus eliminating waste and helping with regularity. Add the juice of one lemon to warm water and drink first thing in the morning.
- The citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
- Vitamin C in lemons helps to neutralize free radicals linked to aging and most types of disease.
- It destroys intestinal worms.
- When there is insufficient oxygen and difficulty in breathing (such as when mountain climbing) lemons are very helpful. The first man to reach the top of Mt. Everest, Edmund Hillary, said that his success on Mt. Everest was greatly due to lemons.
- Blood vessels are strengthened by the vitamin P (bioflavinoids) in lemon thus prevents internal hemorrhage. Also, making it useful in treating high blood pressure.
- Lemons contain 22 anti-cancer compounds, including naturally occurring limonene; oil which slows or halts the growth of cancer tumors in animals and flavonol glycosides which stop cell division in cancer cells.
In 1747, a naval surgeon named James Lind cured scurvy with fresh lemons by giving one to two ounces of lemon juice diluted with water every two to four hours. To this day, the British Navy requires ships to carry enough lemons so that every sailor could have one ounce of juice a day.
According to The Reams Biological Ionization Theory (RBTI), the lemon is the ONLY food in the world that is anionic (an ion with a negative charge). All other foods are cationic (the ion has a positive charge.) This makes it extremely useful to health as it is the interaction between anions and cations that ultimately provides all cell energy. RBTI also claims that there is only one form of vitamin C that is truly neutral and it comes the way nature makes it in onions. So if you cannot take acidic form of vitamin C (such as lemons) eat fresh onion or onion soup.